Thoughts on being a programmer
- Don't be an asshole.
- Simple code is hard to write.
- Exquisitely simple code is exquisitely hard to write.
- Just because it's easy to understand doesn't mean it was easy to write.
- In fact, the easier it is to understand, the harder it probably was to write.
- There are many ways to do something.
- The first way you think of is highly unlikely to be the best way.
- Anyway, there probably is no best way - just lots of
ways that are differently good.
- There's always plenty of room for improvement - in your code,
in your abilities, in you.
- If you think you're as good as you're ever going to be - you're
- "One-line changes" aren't.
- Learn to desire success more than you fear failure.
- You're only old when you can no longer learn new tricks.
- Always back up before tidying up.
- Err vicariously.
- Sometimes it's OK to be a bit of an asshole. But don't make a
habit of it.